Monday, June 13, 2011

10k PB 36:43, but a terrible fortnight

Mon: Rest
Tue: Massage with Tiger and 10k @ 5:11 - feeling dead - was supposed to be threshold run but body not cooperating.
Wed: Feeling like sickness coming on so had a day off.
Thu: 10k @4:49. Not quite feeling 100%.
Fri: Rest
Sat: 10k PB in 36:43 (a 48 sec PB from last week) at the Sydney 10 at Homebush.

I had felt really lethargic like I had the flu all week and the warm up was terrible and felt laboured. I was disappointed as the plan was to go for sub 37 to make the most of the current fitness in the last race before GCM.

The first k which is a nice long slight downhill surprisingly didn't feel to bad and I was surprised to run it in 3:26. I went through 2k in 7:03 and was feeling OK. Amazing. It must have been the enforced rest during the week. The next 3k were all done in 3:40-3:41 pace which had me half way in 18:06 (27 secs faster than 5k PB of 6 weeks ago). The final 5k was pretty uneventful other than giving it everything and maintaining ~3:45 pace. Looking back at the splits, it was really an amazingly even split race and I don't think I could have gone any faster on the day.'

Sun: 0k. I was planning an out and back on the Nosh course - no racing - just wanted to take it easy and not overdo the hard racing. 6 races in the past 6 weeks and 6 PB's was enough. Unfortunately for my long run, I unexpectedly needed to look after my nephew on Sat evening and all day Sunday.  Leaving 3 kids with Mrs Hamburglar was not really an option. No problem I told myself, I will just do my long run on Tuesday to catch up...

Total for the week: 33k

Mon: rest
Tue: 16k @ 5:10 - up to North Head.  Felt awful and decided to cut it short.
Wed: 7k in 4:52 - yep definitely sick. Lungs full of crap. Turnaround and go home.
Thu: Another rest hoping to get the long run in on Fri.
Fri: rest. Lungs still crap. Made myself rest.
Sat: 5 days without Mrs Hamburglar (in Singapore) means 24 hours a day dad and virtually no running till next Tuesday. Snuck out for a stroller run 11k.
Sun: no run.

Total: 34k
Was planning two big weeks and got nothing. No long runs, no key sessions. And this was meant to be the crescendo of the training??? Ironically I had the run of my life right in the middle and was contemplating a revised marathon target. This week's lack of training has meant the end of that train of thought. Just focusing on sub 3 now. I will smash myself this week including a long run on Tuesday and Sunday and then have two weeks taper. Hopefully not too much harm done. *deep breath*

2 comments:

Superflake said...

It won't matter. All the hardwork is done. Body needs rest and you will come out firing at GCM. Just don't pull the shotgun too early.

inhisshadow said...

Mate - now your just showing off! Nice PB