Thursday, April 07, 2011

Port Stephens

Headed up to Port Stephens last week with the extended family which was great. A really big house with a great pool, close to the beach (One Mile) and surprisingly close to some good trails which I explored throughout the week.

I had been struggling with a sore throat and had a couple of days off including the Sunday and Monday that we were there. I headed out Tuesday to explore the Tomaree National Park. I had a quick look at the map and took off. I should have taken a better look at the mao as I got lost on numerous occasions. Great fire trail and then single track around the coast to Fingal Bay. I then ran along th ebike path for a few k's and then turned westward . This is where I got lost. I lost the trail and ended up bushbashing to the top of a big hill to see where I was. This was no help as all I could see was km's of bush in front of me. I was now out of water, no phone and no money. To back track would take hours so I perservered as to my great relief came across a firetrail that lead to Nelson Bay golf course. How did I get here? Anyway, I trudged home and was very happy to get a glass of water. 24k in 2:22.



We headed over to Dutchies beach on Wednesday which is on the Bay side. Gorgeous beach and gorgeous weather. Everyone headed back after lunch and I deceided to run home via Nelson Bay and Shoal Bay. I went back through the Tomaree National Park and found the track that I was planning to take the day before. I entered from Shoal Bay via Gowrie Rd and found a wide open flat dirt Road that went all the way back to One Mile beach. Great running, but very exposed and hot and I struggled after the previous days run. 13k in 1:15

Thursday, Rachel decided to join me and we went exploring. We drove to Shoal Bay and headed up the Tomaree headland lookout. We walked up in 14 mins. Awesome view. We then ran back down and followed the trail along the coast exploring Zenith, Wreck and Box beaches before returning back to Shoal Bay. Nice run along some good trailas and deserted beaches. Great place Port Stephens! 7k in 1:03. Friday saw Caty coming with me this time and we decided to explore Fingal Bay and Port Stephens lighthouse. To get to Port Stephens lighthouse you need to cross at low tide. We were a bit late and needed to wade through ankle deep water. I was hoping that it wouldn't rise too much by the time we returned. Once we crossed the spit, it is a couple of k to the lighthouse. The water on our return journey was about the same level. Our shoes were already wet and full of sand, so we ran along Fingal Bay beach and back via the bike path. A nice run. 9k in just over an hour.



I headed out for the last of my Port Stepen runs on Saturday. I left One Mile beach and headed for Samurai beach. Miners would appreciate that Samurai beach is a "clothing optional" beach. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I was keen to "have a look" so to speak, at the area. Interestingly enough, you can actually camp on Samurai Beach and I don;t know any other beach where this is allowed. Other than a few nood old blokes, there wasn't much to see. I headed up onto the trails, to agian explore some more of Tomaree National park. I was in the middle of nowhere when I spotted a couple walking their dogs. I found it interesting as the fire trail was a long way from any houses or access points. I was surprised to find that it was Robin Cameron and husband going for a long walk! Another good run in the bush. 15k in 1:25.



A great week holiday with 5 great runs and 68k. Loved it.







No comments: