Thursday, January 27, 2011

Knapsack 3 hours

Running 3 hours in brand new Australia Days boardie from BigW - bad idea - the chaffing in the shower yesterday afternoon was unbearable.

Other than that, I had a great day. Not knowing the course, I had the rough idea that if I could do the 4.55k loops in 25:40, I could do 7 laps and sneak under the 3 hours in order to do one more. I had no idea how easy or hard the loop would be however it turned out to be a good goal, and kept me honest all day.

The splits were as follows:

1) 24:36
2) 25:30
3) 25:29
4) 25:24
5) 25:41
6) 25:57
7) 26:33
8) 29:00

Total of 8 laps (36.4k) in 3:28:10.

I was a minute up after the first lap, however I felt as if I was pushing too hard. I felt as if I was fading on the 2nd and 3rd laps and the pace would be unsustainable however the 4th lap was relatively easier and I was still a minute or so in front. The 5th and 6th laps went by OK and I started to pass a few people who were doing the 6 hour. The mental games were much easier after 4 laps as I could count down the laps till finishing. I had to run the 7th lap hard to get under the 3 hour mark, it was touch and go all the way and I was relieved to come through "the shoot" with 45 secs to spare.

I really loved the course, lots of cool single track which was mostly runnable (I just walked one section each lap around the 1.5k mark). The bonus was that it wasn't as hot as expected and it seemed as if 90% of the course was in the shade. The cold water at the aid stations was great and the food afterwards was a bonus.

Very happy with the run and shows the training is going in the right direction. Felt very strong towards the end, just as I did at the end of Bogong to Hotham.

1 comment:

inhisshadow said...

Mate I just got off the phone with Glenn Munsie from TAB sportsbet, he won't even frame a market for the 6ft Beer bet with you in it! He says you are a surer thing than Makybe Diva....Running well my friend