Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bogong to Hotham (Langford Gap) 2010

Upon reflection, this years run was probably the most enjoyable days running I have ever had.

I decided to only go half way (i.e. to Langford Gap) this year. The last two years were tough and really knocked me around. This year the focus is sixfoot and so I thought a tough 35k would serve me well.

The mindset is totally different doing the shorter option. In 2009 I was completely terrified and stressed about equipment, nutrition and making the cut. In 2010, I was a little more relaxed realising that I could comfortably do the distance and make the cut however it was still a hard run and a big ask. This year I just totally enjoyed it. The nutrition and pacing was not so important, I knew what to expect - I could push a little harder and see what happened.

Mr G picked me up from Holbrook on Saturday afternoon and we only just made the race briefing. We were going to camp, however it was late and we decided to check in to a motel and have a relaxing meal and a couple of beers with Brick, Animal etc instead.
I considered starting at the later start, but decided on the earlier start as it would be good to see the leaders pass me and cheer on people at Langford after I finished. Whippet delayed the start till 5:30am in order that headlights were not required. I started at the front of the group and was surprised that only a handful of people were in front as we heade along the creek. I ran to the bottom of staircase spur with DJBleakman with only 4 people in front. And up we went. Spud was close behind as I could hear the tapping of his poles. It was the 4th time I have climbed staircase spur, however it still surprises me how long it goes for. Up and up we go. Dan dropped off and I passed a couple of people and a couple of people passed me. As the rest of the race would pan out, I was by myself with no one in range. I reached the top in 1:51 in 4th place however the time was a little slower than last year. All the fast people must have decided on the later wave.

The visibility was poor on top and a little chilly, just as it was in 2009. I could see no one in front and no one behind. If this was the first time I had been up there I would have been worried that I was on the right track however it was really awesome to be running along the ridge in an isolated environment all by myself. I was pushing the pace and was in a happy place.

Across the ridge, following the trail to Ropers, then Madison’s hut and over toward T-spur. Twisting and turning through the misty alpine environment following the single trail, over creeks, around trees, amongst the wildflowers and through the grass. It was so quiet and peaceful. A quick water stop and a wave at the campers. Did I say I was in a happy place? This is probably the best section of trail I have ever run and this year I was enjoying it so much more. Just after Ropers, I caught Dave Byrnes, the first runner I had contact with since half way up Bogong. I wouldn’t see anyone else for a while yet either.

This section of trail is just a prelude to the descent sown T-spur – wwwweeeeee, down we go! Down down down. I pushed hard down here and was aiming to reach the river in 3 hours which I just missed this by a minute, however I was feeling good and ready to face Duane Spur. In previous years Duane Spur broke me and it was close to breaking me this year as well. I had forgotten how long and steep the 2nd half was, however realising that I was only going to Langford Gap made it easier to accept. I looked behind me and saw the eventual winner Stu Gibson behind. He wasn’t running, but gee he was walking fast and breathing hard. Before I knew it, he was gone. He went on to win in sub 7 hours. Wow.
Just as I reached the top of Duane Spur, a runner from Canberra joined me and introduced herself – it was Bmac from the six-foot beer bet. We ended up running through Ropers hut together and walking/running to Warby corner. It was nice to have some company here as I was having a liitle bit of a low patch. I didn’t have much time to waste however as there wasn’t long to go.

The open section down to watch bed creek was misty and visibility was poor and we missed out on some splendid views of the mountains, however it was time to put the head down and head for home. Bmac and I had some steady running before I left her for the finish. I was now pushing the pace trying to break 5:30 – the old illusive cut-off time. It was going to be close and I needed to push hard. I turned off the fire trail and on to the single track. I was whacked but was pushing as hard as I could. This section is another piece of magic trail, twisting and turning towards the aqueduct. I felt like I was flying. In reality I wasn’t, but it felt good. Onto the flat section, and with a couple of k to go I looked at my watch and knew I would be home under 5:30. In the end I had a couple of minutes to spare. Surprisingly there was a crowd waiting at Langford and cheered me in, which was nice.

The next couple of hours was hanging around Langford, trying not to freeze to death, chewing the fat and watching the rest of the field come through and head for Hotham. After Mr G (the sweeper) came through, it was on to the bus and back to Mt Beauty. A quick swim in the river and it was back in the car and head for home.
I was back at the farm at Holbrook sitting on the porch drinking a beer just over 24 hours after leaving, smiling from ear to ear. The best race of the year.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congrats HB! It sounds like a fantastic race. Knowing the area (now) I have no doubt that it was a spectacular way to spend 24 hours!

Did you take the junior burger to play on the sub?