Monday, June 12, 2006

The Great Nosh and Soft Sand Classic


"The Great Nosh - 4th June"

After sleeping in yesterday morning and missing striders 10k, I made sure I got up for this one. I meet Caty at the finish and drove to the start at Linfield. It was the first time that I had run this event and didn't know the track, and what to expect, so the hills were a quite a sursprise. The 305 lost satelite contact just before the start and therefore had no GPS throughout the run, which was really frustrating. I finished in 79:08 and I feel like I am running quite strongly after the lag post Canberra, which is great news.

Avg. Pace - 5:19
Avg. HR - 181

"Manly Soft Sand Classic - 11th June"

Was a bit nervous coming into yesterday's event beacuse of my lack of training on the soft sand. I had only done 4 training runs (1 x 6k, 2 x 9k and 1 x 12k). The course was a bit different from last year as there was 4 hills - 4 on the way up and 4 on the way back for a total of 56 hills to climb. I took a couple of pictures a few days ago of the hills:





I turned up at 6am to watch the marathoners. There were 13 of them that started. Interesting to note that there was only 1 runner returning from the event last year - must say something. There was also 4 female competitors (none last year). The marathon course was also a lttle different from last year - they ran around to queenscliff lagoon and also around he rock pool.

Coolrunner tim was also running in the half and it was good to meet him.

About 80 competitors took off at 7am and I just couldn't get going in the first 2 laps before getting a little more comfortable in the middle section. I stepped up the pace in the last 2 laps and finished in 2:08:06. Great result considering that I would have been happy with anything < 2:15.

Very sore and sorry today - every muscle in my legs are in pain today, especially my quads from all those bloody hills! It was a great event and good value for money - $40 for a well organised race, a shirt and results were on the net very quickly. I will definitely be back next year - and you never know, maybe even have a crack at the marathon!

Splits were:

1) 18:12
2) 18:55
3) 18:55
4) 18:25
5) 18:20
6) 18:07
7) 17:16

Total: 2:08:06

Avg. pace - 6:09
Avg. HR - 171