Saturday, April 01, 2006

Canberra Training


With one week to go before Canberra, I thought I would reflect on the training I have done to get to this point…


Started training in January after a complete 3 week break from running over Xmas. My goal at that stage (as it is now) was to run <3:30. I thought this very achievable goal however I vowed to firstly just aim to finish. I got into the heavy training quite quickly and did a good 3 week block of training – 50 to 60k’s per week, a 30k long run on each Sunday and a speed session during the week (pain in the domain). I thought everything was going great until the 4th week came and shin splints arrived.

Not exactly sure whether it was the sudden return to training, the increased intensity or new shoes that caused the injury (probably all three) however it caused me to stop running completely, as even easy runs were painful. Just when I was contemplating running again, I came down with the flu which made the decision to have some more time off easy. In the end it was nearly 3 weeks with minimal running and my preparations for Canberra were in disarray.

With a revised training program which mainly consisted of easy runs, building up to a 4 week block of 70km/week I started again. The shin splints "mostly" disappeared and with icing and an occasional massage from Easy Tiger, the training for Canberra was back on track.

The block of 4 weeks of 70km/week came and went and before I knew it I was in the taper. I decided not to run more than 32k’s in training as I felt like 2.5-3 hours for a long run was enough and I didn’t want to compromise the training for the rest of the week. Even though I haven’t run longer than this, I have done 7 ~30k runs which does give me some confidence going in to next week.

I decided on a 3 week straight line taper for both total k's and long run i.e.

Week (-4): 70km (30k long run)
Week (-3): 50km (20k long run)
Week (-2): 30km (10k race at Marathon Pace - i.e. 5 min k's )
Week (-1): 10km (2 x 5km runs at Marathon Pace)

Positives:

1) I have got more and more comfortable doing high k's and long runs as the weeks went on (eventually felt like a human on Sunday afternoons)
2) I trained faster each week, keeping HR at same level
3) In the last month, I have done 10k PB (42:40) and corporate Cup PB (5.9k – 24:55)
4) Various experienced runners have given me confidence that I should be able to meet my goal of 3:30
5) Honestly not minding if I don't run 3:30 as I am determined to enjoy the day no matter what happens
6) Good friends and family will be running/spectating on the day
7) Shin splints & the flu haven't hindered my training too much

MILEAGE:

JAN:185
FEB:158
MAR:266 (biggest month ever)

YTD:609

Overall I have a lot to be positive about and looking forward to my first Marathon.

No comments: